Let us first bring to light that the following supplements are in no way proven to prevent or treat COVID-19. The items we have chosen to place in this article are for personal and immune care during quarantine in an attempt to best prepare yourself and your body to defend against the pandemic. All of these items can be found in your local grocery store. You can call ahead to make sure they are not out of anything beforehand. Here is a selection of some of our favorites that you too can have in your cabinet at home!
- Garlic: The active compounds in garlic are known to lower blood pressure and improve cholesterol levels, which will lower your risk for heart disease. Garlic can help fight sickness as well. We are not talking about curing coronavirus, but the common cold should watch out for this delicious ingredient. There is a lot of talk on the internet about garlic but most of the evidence is insufficient and requires more research concerning athletic performance, reduced sickness time, etc. It is safe to assume that it is beneficial to your diet because of all the nutrients within it. Garlic holds Vitamin C and D, manganese, selenium, fiber, calcium, potassium and more.
- Echinacea: Echinacea should take home an award for all of the benefits it holds! It can reduce inflammation and anxiety, aid in healthy cell growth and lower your blood pressure! You can drink this in tea or take it in pill form. The tea is yummy and doesn’t feel like a task to consume. Drinking this tea in the morning as a replacement for coffee at this anxious time could do wonders.
- Elderberry: This one is a favorite! It can protect your heart, lessen stress and there are some recommendations for elderberries to be used to prevent/ease cold and flu symptoms. The secret to its power can be attributed to anthocyanin, an antioxidant. Antioxidants rid the body of free radicals that could possibly damage your cells. It can also reduce pain and swelling!
- Zinc: Zinc is a great anti-inflammatory, can boost your immune system and lessen your chance to meet with an age-related, life threatening disease. Chances are you pass Zinc on your way to the Flintstone Gummies. Do yourself a favor and grab some next time. The most efficient method would definitely be found in a capsule.
- Vitamin D: Vitamin D has so many great qualities but the main focus today will be the fact that it helps to regulate intake of calcium and phosphorus. It also helps to normalize immune system health. Vitamin D also helps with day to day growth and can help build resistance to diseases that you might normally be susceptible to.
- Vitamin C: There are plenty of reasons to make sure you are not low on Vitamin C starting with the fact that it helps prevent iron deficiency, which you NEED to generate red blood cells and provide oxygen to your entire body. It also promotes a healthy immune system which is another point of this piece. Try the Emergen-C packets!
PLEASE REMEMBER THAT THESE SUPPLEMENTS WILL IN NO WAY PREVENT OR TREAT COVID-19. If you are experiencing symptoms, go to the closest testing facility and receive treatment if you test positive. These supplements are to promote immunity in quarantine during a crazy time. Stay happy! Stay healthy! Stay quarantined!